The Instapundit Drinking Game
I did a search for “Instapundit drinking game” and came up empty. Hard to believe. But a market niche is a market niche, as they say, so:
You will need:
- Computer and internet connection, with browser tuned to Instapundit;
- Beverage of choice – presumably, but not necessarily, alcoholic;
- Friends. This may prove a challenge to some bloggers; it’s okay to fake it.
[For best results, click that little link icon under the first post of the day. That way, you will only see the current post and next post title. Depending on how your browser is configured, you may be able to see the URL of a link (usually at the bottom of the screen) before following it.]
Take turns guessing what website a link goes to. If you guess right, choose one friend and that friend takes a drink. If you guess wrong, you drink.
Instapundit often names the source in his post; you can choose to skip these, or some of you will just get lucky. Them’s the breaks. And don’t forget, these rules are cumulative, not exclusive.
- If it’s an Althouse link, everybody drinks. [Bonus sub-game: everybody write down a guess of how many Althouse links there will be for the current day. Anyone who gets it right doles out that number of drinks. Hint: the over/under is 2 1/2.]
- If it’s a Vodkapundit link, everybody drains their glasses.
- If the subject matter is Pelosi, Reid, or out-of-control government, it’s time to spread the wealth around. Everybody gives half their drink to the player with the emptiest glass. That player drinks.
- If the post begins with “They said that if I voted for McCain…” current drinker does not drink, everybody else does.
- If the subject matter is Kerry, Edwards, or Gore, current drinker drinks with pinkie finger extended, laughs haughtily, says “thirsty, peasants?” and drinks again.
- If it’s an “in the mail” link, the current drinker has 2 minutes to recite an original limerick or haiku before drinking. If successful, pick another player to drink, otherwise drain the glass.
- If the post references the Singularity, no rules are necessary. Whoever needs to drink knows who they are.
UPDATE: wow, quite a reaction. Thanks! Here, therefore, are a few more:
- If the post contains the terms ‘heh’, ‘indeed’, or any combination of the two, everyone puts his or her finger on his or her nose (on, not in). Whoever is last drinks.
- If the post contains the phrase ‘faster, please’, everybody chugs. Whoever finishes last buys the next round.
- If the post ends with ‘read the whole thing’, drink the whole thing.
- And finally, anyone who gets an Instalanche buys a round for the house. Hi everybody!
ANOTHER UPDATE: What does it mean when Althouse says ‘heh’?
I’m seeing a lot of interesting ideas in the comments. Let’s face it though, this is already the most complicated drinking game since the Pharaohs started one-upping each other.
By the time you’re halfway through an insta-day you won’t be able to remember the rules, much less read the posts. So feel free to add rules for your favorite Insta-linkee as you see fit. Enjoy!
Troglopundit and the Mister Pterodactyl Consortium are proud supporters of the Designated Blogger Driver Program. Please drink responsibly.